Monday, November 4, 2013

Talking about inspiration

Maggie Stiefvater engages the crowd
I have been interviewed a couple of times now that some of the anthologies I have short stories in have been published (two more eBooks to go in 2013). One question which is always asked is about inspiration. Here is one form of inspiration for me: seeing and meeting other authors of books I love. I read Lament by Maggie Stiefvater when I first started reading Young Adult books. I borrowed the book from the library and fell in love: with the writing, the imagery, the setting, the characters--with everything. The story was contemporary, yet had a fantastical aspect to it. The characters were wonderful and the writing was lyrical, moving, exemplary. This was what writing was all about--about creating magic on the page in a beautiful manner.

Oblong Books in Rhinebeck has the fabulous Hudson Valley Young Adult Society which has outstanding monthly events. I was able to see one of my top favorite authors in person and have her sign all of my books. Maggie Stiefvater appeared at Oblong on Sunday, October 27, to a full house. She was great. Entertaining. Stood the entire time, involved the audience during her reading, made everyone feel welcome, made us laugh, and was generally a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

When it was time for signing, Maggie sat down and spoke to everyone who came up and engaged even the shyest person to speak. What a memorable afternoon! What an incredible author and person. Thanks to the HVYA Society, especially Suzanna Hermans and Jennifer Laughran. And thanks to Maggie Stiefvater for being so darn cool, insightful, hilarious, and well, inspirational.

Maggie signs (some) my books. My daughter,
Caitlin, and friend, Andrea, had the rest
 of my collection signed.
And then she graciously poses with them
so I can take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment