Monday, October 31, 2011

Writers are like....

At my writer's group meeting last week, I told my fellow writers that writers were like mediums. We channel our characters. Don't you think so? The day before the meeting I had finished reading a book and one line stuck in my head. The more I thought about it, one word in particular got under my skin and before I knew it, something sparked and then my pen was running across a piece of paper. It turned out I was jotting down notes  about a new story. It was as if the main character suddenly took over and had to tell me his story. I typed his story in about four hours and brought the short story to group the next day.

The funny thing is I wasn't looking for another story. I have enough to contend with at the moment. But when this happens--whether or not it's my muse or something else--I have learned to take heed and listen. So when I sat down at the meeting and made my declaration, I received a bunch of smiles of understanding. Oh, and while I'm on this subject, Happy Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment