Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The temptation of summer

Even though the days are longer and warmer (and for New York really rainy and wet), I've managed to keep busy. Besides doing things with my kids, I've managed to not forget my writing and recently attended one conference and a four day writer's intensive.

In June, the local chapter of the SCBWI (Eastern NY) held their annual conference in Poughkeepsie. I looked forward to going to it--my second one as a proud member. Author Linda Sue Park gave an interesting Keynote speech and kept us laughing with her funny words and experiences. The sessions I attended were not as insightful as I had hoped they would be. It was interesting to note I felt more knowledgeable about writing and publishing this time around as opposed to the first time when I was a "newbie." Keeping busy by attending conferences, workshops and retreats, and working with critique groups has certainly helped me these past twelve months (and continue to).

I did have a wonderful critique by a respected editor and as I revise I am mindful of these comments. In all the conference was nice, I met some wonderful people, got some books autographed for my kids and enjoyed lunch. The panel discussion was quite insightful and was certainly the highlight of the event.

Despite whatever reservations I had about some of the sessions, I must applaud the hard work and dedication of all those involved in planning this annual event. I look forward to attending next years conference as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment