Friday, March 27, 2015

What's going on? Let me tell you

It's been quiet here but that doesn't mean nothing is happening behind the scenes. I've been writing, getting ready for Camp NaNoWriMo in April, sat in on a couple of webinars, filling out my registration for the Unicorn Writers Conference in August (moved from March) and the Children's Writers of the Hudson Valley Conference (in June), researching, and more writing. I'm also involved in a secret project with two members of my critique group which has us meeting weekly to discuss various things (it's fun). I have also been checking out covers for some projects so announcements may begin to trickle out soon.

Andrew Smith signed books for me before leaving to
catch a plane.
Holly Black and Cassandra Clare sign away. 
Last Sunday I went to Oblong Books In Rhinebeck with my daughter for the Keep YA Weird book tour event. We meet Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Andrew Smith and Kelly Link. Each author spoke about their books and their writing and then graciously answered questions. Cassie gave the audience advice I thought was priceless about publishing and adhering to the rules writers are always being reminded about. 

She said writers are told not to begin their stories with a prologue, or to have a character wake-up and go about their day and other so-called "rules." Then she mentioned Harry Potter began with a prologue and The Hunger Games starts with Katniss getting up and going about her day. What's important when one thinks about breaking any of these rules is to write your opening well.

As someone who enjoys reading and writes short stories, listening to Kelly Link made me appreciate shorts even more.

The afternoon was a lot of fun and I was able to get all of my Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices books signed. They look so nice on my bookshelf. And yes, the books on the table in the picture on the bottom right are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment